The purpose of BYOD is to continue technology rich learning for all students at Parkes High School. There will be more opportunities for students to collaborate with others, connect with a global community, receive feedback from teachers, and create products like videos to show their learning.
Educational research shows that BYOD leads to many benefits in learning. Some of these benefits are listed below:
- Devices such as laptops and tablets are already a very significant part of students' lives. Since these devices are integral to their lives, they should be integral to their learning lives.
- Mobile devices are part of 21st century living and integral to learning 21st century skills, which are vital for students to learn and develop.
- BYOD allows even further personalised learning for students.
- BYOD allows learning to be even more collaborative.
- When students are able to use their own devices, it often leads to increased motivation and engagement in learning.
Other educational benefits of using BYOD in the classroom are:
- Students are held accountable for their learning, puts them in charge.
- Encourages continued learning outside of the classroom walls.
- Learning anytime, anywhere without schedule or access restrictions.
- Allows for immediate application in the classroom.
- Flexibility- support different learners with different needs.
- Helps students identify skills that will make them life-long learners.
- Gives students a preview of how their future workplaces will operate.
There are students who already bring their own devices to school and are already using them in class to enhance their learning. Our findings from student and parent consultations have revealed that students want to have access to devices in the classroom.